Data Architect/Tech Lead
Type of Contract: Full-time
As part of the data practice, we are focused on creating a modern architecture and implementation practice that can deliver data platforms and data projects to our clients. The ideal candidate will have a strong architecture and software engineering background, have led teams of engineers or other architects, be able to perform in a client-facing role to senior stakeholders, and will be to contribute to the 6point6 internal data strategy, thought leadership and sales and marketing efforts.
Role and responsibilities
- Independent manager expected to have a large impact on the success of the organisation and client projects guiding teams to deliver data services, platforms and applications.
- Provide engineering and technical leadership whilst being engaged in hands-on technical deliverables including responsibility for the build of data processing systems.
- Partner closely with the product and delivery lead to manage project scope and ensure technical deliverables are met.
- Participate in business development activities, proposals, bids and pre-sales, promotion and delivery of big data engagements.
- Participate in thought leadership about architecture and big data by creating thought leadership materials as directed.
- Build client relationships and establish credibility by demonstrating knowledge of various aspects of data engineering and data architecture, and identify opportunities.
- Perform engagement management responsibilities, including performance reviews, task delegation, project scheduling, project financials, quality review and client management.
- Line manage, mentor, train and develop more junior staff, including graduates.
- Experience with programming and software engineering best practice – specifically Java, Scala or Python, Spring Boot, Microservices, Kafka, Docker, Git, Kubernetes, etc.. Ability to design solutions as well as review code.
- Expert overall knowledge of data technology and trends, especially of AWS data products (Glue, EMR, MSK, Redshift, etc.) and big data technologies (Cassandra, HBase, Kafka).
- Experience working with large datasets at sale
- Good understanding of data architecture, architectural concepts, methodologies and approaches.
- Excellent understanding of data modelling, SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Good data and system analysis skills.
- Good knowledge of search and graph technologies, for example ElasticSearch and Neo4J.
- Experience working with both structured and unstructured data, data contracts and serialisation technologies such as Avro, Protobuf and Parquet.
- Good knowledge of non-functional drivers for design.